In case you missed them, I thought I’d share a few things I’ve been doing. I appreciate your indulgence.
- Deborah Potter of NewsLab.org invited me write about my journey from broadcast journalism to the digital realm. Here is what I came up with.
- I contributed an article to the digital magazine, The Village Celebration. It’s about a natural hair salon in St. Louis called The Nappy Kitchen and the psychology of our tresses.
- 2012 is the thirtieth year of continuous publication for my mother Zee Edgell‘s first book Beka Lamb. So, I’ve been helping update her site and spreading the word via social media. There have been a great number of heartfelt comments and reactions to this, as the book has become beloved in Belize and the Caribbean. Students at her alma mater in Belize are staging their own stage adaptation of the book in May. I don’t think they knew about the book’s thirtieth anniversary; it’s a happy coincidence!
- As national membership committee chair for the Society of Professional Journalists, I’ve been managing the membership blog. I’ve roped in guest bloggers as well as adding my own two cents.
- I’ve also started to get more involved with the Greater St. Louis Association of Black Journalists. My first official activity was creating a flyer to announce our April 26 membership mixer and helping get the word out via social media and my personal contacts. Come on down!